Introduction To Reflexology Courses And Training
Trained reflexologists in the US, UK and Canada are typically instructed how to review a person’s medical state by watching the individual while applying diagnostic pressure to various places on the body. This is done to find out where problems exist. Reflexologists will apply pressure with their finger, thumb or hand to massage to reflex points. The pressure directs our body’s energy to the problem area to initiate healing.
Certified reflexologists can currently work for the some insurance companies and with options to also work for the British National Health Service and the Canadian Provincial Health Care insurance plans (where coverage is applicable).
Classroom Training Options
You have several training options in reflexology. You can choose to earn an associate’s or bachelor’s degree, diploma or certificate. Bachelor degrees in Health Administration often include courses in reflexology. There are a growing number of reflexology schools in the UK, US and Canada that offer these types of programs and degrees. Some of the type of schools include:
- Community colleges
- Massage schools
- Online colleges
- Online massage schools
- Healing or wellness clinic
- Acupuncture schools
- Chiropractic colleges
Reflexology Training Courses
Reflexology courses will vary between schools but here are several common classes:
- Hot stone reflexology
- Foot chakras
- Zone therapy
- Metamorphic technique
- Face and body reflexology
- Anatomy and physiology
Standard reflexology training often includes specific courses on how to apply the ear, foot and hand reflexology pressure points. For example:
Ear reflexology – The student will study the ear reflexology chart, learn basic ear reflexes and stimulation.
Foot reflexology – Introduction to correct massaging techniques, loosening and relieving tension in the feet.
Hand reflexology – Techniques to stimulating reflexes and relieving soreness.
Reflexology Certifications With Another Holistic Degree
Reflexology certifications can often lead to earning a Holistic Nutrition Bachelor’s Degree. This program will teach you how the art of natural medicine can treat the whole body and promote excellent health through natural methods. Graduates may work as a holistic dietician or an alternative nutritionist.
Online certification programs are usually self-paced programs that can be completed in a matter of months to a year. They typically involve several steps:
- You will start by studying videos, books and published materials on reflexology. This step may require 50 to 70 hours of personal study time.
- Then you will practice apply techniques to actual feet. You may be required to perform 50 to 120 hours of practice. The sessions can be done in stages. For example, 100 hours may be preformed on a group of 20 people that receive 5 sessions each. This would leave 20 hours that you could apply to practicing on 1 person.
- Next, you will record practice sessions on video. This provides a way for the school to review your skills and send you suggestions through your e-mail.
- Finally, you will take a certification exam. The final exam may be separated into written and practical exams. Any assignments, video-taped sessions, and personal study and practice session logs are typically required to be turned in before the exam is taken.